Welcome to CMSimple

You are here:   Home > Notes > Steve Gough Timeline > Post walks

Post walks


Gough was arrested again on Thursday 19 May 2006 at Edinburgh airport after removing his clothes during a flight from Southampton to Edinburgh and refusing to get dressed.


Given a seven-month jail sentence.


Gough was cleared of charges related to his refusal to dress upon being released into Saughton Prison car park in Edinburgh. The ruling judge, Isobel Poole, found that there was no evidence of "actual alarm or disturbance", adding "I can understand this conduct could be considered unpleasant to passers-by had there been any but there is a lack of evidence to that effect." Gough lost his appeal against contempt of court convictions for refusing to wear clothes during his trial.


Convicted of a breach of the peace and jailed for 12 months.


Accused of walking naked in public in Edinburgh Road, Perth.


Gough, standing in the dock naked, was jailed at Perth for a further 12 months for breach of the peace. Sheriff MacFarlane was told that the bill for dealing with Gough had cost the public an estimated several hundred thousand pounds. The court heard how Gough had finished a previous jail term at Perth Prison and was released to enjoy freedom for the first time in several months. However, his freedom lasted less than 30 seconds after he walked naked from the prison door to Edinburgh Road. Gough was also sentenced to four months for refusing to dress before the trial.


Another trial?


On 8 February 2010 Gough was convicted of breach of the peace and contempt of court, charges relating to walking naked in Perth and appearing naked in court. He was sentenced to 21 months imprisonment, his longest sentence to date.

Sheriff Lindsay Foulis told Gough at his last court appearance that he was prepared to defer sentence on him if he agreed to return to his mother's home in Eastleigh, Hampshire, fully clothed, and then report to his local police station.

Sheriff Lindsay Foulis has been on hand to repeatedly arrest Gough as he arises from incarceration and said "I suppose it doesn't need a expert in crystal ball gazing to anticipate that if I impose a custodial sentence then in so many months time a similar scenario will arise. When the day comes for you to be released from a prison establishment you will be apprehended and the same process gone through again. This is what happened over the last while and if I impose a custodial sentence that is a scenario which is likely to arise again and again and again."


Arrested for conducting himself in a disorderly manner, standing naked at the gates of Perth Prison, refusing to wear any clothing or otherwise cover his private parts and committing a breach of the peace.


Found guilty of offence on 2010-10-26. He was sentenced to 15 months and 26 days. He is understood to spend his time in prison in solitary confinement.


Arrested again on release from Perth prison; trial next month. Nude in the court.

Sheriff Richard McFarlane told him: "Do not sit down. There could be hygiene issues for others who may have to occupy that seat". He accused Gough of wasting public money. He said: "When is it going to end? You are denying proper use of public funds to many people who could benefit from them".


Convicted again.

He has been repeatedly arrested in the street outside Perth Prison by police waiting for him to be released at the end of each sentence. The latest 657-day sentence - his longest yet - includes the unexpired portion of his last sentence from which he was freed early, a year for breaching the peace and 90 days for contempt of court.


Released from prison and allowed to walk away naked.


Re-arrested in Dunfermline.

The former marine was freed from Perth Prison on Tuesday and vowed to continue his nude crusade. Gough, 53, was spoken to by police when he was freed, but was then allowed to go on his way in an apparent shift in Tayside Police policy. On the last few occasions Gough has been released he has been immediately arrested by officers waiting for him at the gates, but this time he was given the go-ahead to walk off despite being naked. However, a spokesman for Fife Constabulary confirmed on Friday that he had been arrested at Townhill, Dunfermline at around 2pm for breach of the peace. He was arrested following complaints from members of the public.


Appeared at Kirkcaldy Sherrif Court. Refused to dress. Convicted of Contempt of Court.


Convicted of Breach of the Peace. Sheriff James Williamson deferred sentence on Gough until next month, and ordered social workers to produce a report independently assessing Gough's emotional and mental health.


Sentenced to 5 months. Sheriff James Williamson had expressed concern about Gough's demeanour at a previous hearing. He ordered social workers to produce a report assessing his emotional and mental health. But on Thursday the sheriff told the rambler he had "no alternative" but to impose another custodial sentence after Gough refused to meet the officials and indicated he had no intention of doing so in the future.


Naked Rambler Stephen Gough has spent more than six years in Scottish prisons for refusing to put his clothes on. The authorities have made it clear they do not want him there but the rambler is sticking to his principles. The result is possibly the UK's oddest legal stand-off. The Naked Rambler has been released from prison in Edinburgh after serving his latest sentence for public nudity. Stephen Gough has 18 convictions and has been in prison almost without a break since May 2006.


Stephen crossed the border into England having walked from Edinburgh.


Steve is at the Tanhill Inn enjoying a pint next to the fire. He will stay the night.


We don't know many details yet but we have just been contacted by the spokesman for Stephen Gough who has told the HebWeb that Stephen Gough has been arrested in Hebden Bridge, following complaints to the police.


He was taken to Halifax Police Station for questioning and released on bail this lunchtime, pending further inquiries. On his release, he walked out of the police station naked. He was then spotted walking through Halifax town centre before being stopped by police on Bull Green at around 14:00, this time on suspicion of a public order offence.


Stephen has been arrested on public decency charge by Buxton police at ~13:00 today.


Stephen's situation seems to be a bit confused, with arrests and releases reported at various places. Today he didn't appear in Nottingham Magistrate's Court as he refused to dress; he was charged with Outraging Public Decency and remanded in custody until 2012-11-21. The charges have gone from Sexual Offences Act through Public Order Act and now OPD.


Released and then re-arrested in Nottingham.


At Nottingham Crown Court, Stephen's case was "discontinued", which appears to mean that it has been abandoned. Meanwhile Stephen is still walking.


Arrested on canal path at Lichfield.


Stephen's charge of indecent exposure was dropped and replaced with section 5 charge. He was given trial in Feb and released on bail till then. He will be leaving Birmingham prison at 18:00


Stephen & [another] have been arrested and taken to Redditch police station following a number of complaints.


I was rung this afternoon (Saturday) by police custody personnel at Leamington Spa. Stephen was arrested today in Bidford-on-Avon, and is being held for interview on suspicion of offending under both (1) Public Order Act section 5 and (2) Public Nuisance following "a number" of calls from the public (they couldn't tell me how many or how serious).


... spoke to Stephen on the phone at 16:15 after receiving a text that he was out. Whilst on the phone he was re-arrested by plain clothes police under section 5 Public Order act.


Stephen arrested in Carterton, just west of Oxford, and taken to Abingdon.


We went to Oxford Crown Court ... for the preliminary hearing. They've set a trial date for 3rd June, although we live in hope that he gets bailed after the weekend.


Stephen had a bail hearing on Wednesday [2012-12-19] at which a bail condition was ... imposed that Stephen could be let out if he undertook [to] cover his genitals. Today the court reconvened to hear that (surprise, surprise) Stephen would not accept that condition, so he remains in custody at HMP Bullingdon until either (1) his application for dismissal of the case is accepted or (2) the charge is pursued in court on 25 January.

Steve was due to appear at Chesterfield Magistrates Court on Friday 21 December to answer a charge under section 5 of the Public Order Act. Obviously he was unable to appear and the case was adjourned until a date in the new year (date unspecified in the news report).


Stephen Gough, known as the naked rambler, has stood in court before a judge with no clothes on to hear a charge of outraging public decency. The 53-year-old appeared at Oxford Crown Court earlier following his arrest in Carterton, Oxfordshire, on 4 December. The defence for Mr Gough, from Eastleigh, Hampshire, has applied to have the case dismissed. Mr Gough was remanded in custody and will reappear in court on Tuesday.


Naked rambler Stephen Gough was appearing before Calderdale magistrates today - in the nude. The 53-year-old arrived at court in a prison security van this morning and was led into the building wearing just his walking boots and socks. [He] is due to face public order charges in connection with offences allegedly comitted in Halifax last October.


Steve is out! Charge has been dropped from Oxford Crown Court and also charge droped from Nottingham magistrate. He is with ... film crew right now being driven to Carterton.

The man known as "the naked rambler" has been released on bail after a charge of outraging public decency in Oxfordshire was dropped. Stephen Gough, 53, from Eastleigh, Hampshire, appeared via videolink at Oxford Crown Court on Thursday. The Crown Prosecution Service reviewed the case and found "insufficient evidence" for a realistic prosecution. He remains on bail for a number of other pending court cases, including in Halifax where he has appeared this week.


Arrested and later released while walking naked in a snowstorm a few miles short of reaching home in Eastleigh.


Naked Rambler Stephen Gough finally arrived home yesterday seven years after setting off on his marathon trek. The wacky 53-year-old naturist who was freed from a Scots jail four months ago turned up at mum Nora's door wearing just a hat and hiking boots. ... Gough has racked up an amazing 18 convictions for nudity-related offences since he arrived in Scotland in 2006 and spent more than six years in jail. He faced a 430-mile trek home following his release from Edinburghs Saughton prison last October and was arrested another four times after crossing the border later that month.


I took my first from home naked excursion from E/leigh to Winchester on Friday - got two miles and was arrested. I was kept overnight in police cells at Southampton and appeared at Southampton Magistrates today. I was given unconditional bail and walked naked from the court to E/leigh without incident (not of any consequence, anyway!). By the way, I was charged with you-know-what! Must appear again to plead on Tuesday.


Just had news that the trial on Wednesday 20th Feb at Cannock magistrates court has been discontinued by the prosecution. This case is now over.


The naked rambler has been barred from going anywhere in England and Wales without his clothes after getting an ASBO. Magistrates imposed the order on Stephen Gough, 53, to try get him to cover up in public. If he flouts the ban he faces going back to prison. The interim ASBO made by magistrates in Southampton, applies to all of England and Wales and lasts until May 10. Police successfully applied for the order after claiming Gough has caused "much offence" and wasted police time by rambling naked.


 LONDON – A British man who has spent most of the past decade naked – and in jail – was back behind bars Friday after defying an order to cover up. Stephen Gough, known as the “Naked Rambler,” was arrested Thursday as he left a court in Southampton, southern England, wearing only boots, socks and a knapsack. A judge had just imposed an order that he must “wear sufficient clothing in public to at least cover his genitalia and buttocks.”


Steve was found guilty under Section 5 Public Order Act at Calderdale Magistrates Court and fined £100.


Gough, 53, of Chamberlayne Road, Eastleigh, who spoke only to confirm his name, was remanded in custody to appear at Winchester Crown Court on Monday, April 22 for plea and case management. Gough was arrested on Thursday, February 28, soon after strolling out of Southampton Magistrates’ Court in the nude after they handed him the ASBO.


THE "naked rambler" has been fined after he was found guilty of nine public order offences for walking nude in public places including outside a primary school.

Stephen Gough, 53, of Chamberlayne Road, Eastleigh, Hampshire, pleaded not guilty to the charges of behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

But District Judge Anthony Calloway found Gough guilty of the offences ruling that the unwitting members of the public had been "distressed" at seeing the defendant without clothes on.

He fined the defendant £200 for each offence but waived payment of the fine in lieu of time served by Gough in custody.


Found guilty at Portsmouth of breaking his ASBO conditions and sentenced to 11 weeks, which in effect will mean release in August.


Failed in his appeal at London Criminal Appeal Court against his sentence for breaking the ASBO.

But, stressing that Gough was being punished for his “flagrant” breach of a court order – and not for taking off his clothes – the judges dismissed his appeal and ruled that the sentence was “not excessive”.


A police spokesman said he was arrested on Romsey Road, Winchester, outside the prison at around 10.45am. The spokesman said: “Officers met Mr Gough at the prison and offered him some clothes so that he may leave prison without breaching his ASBO. He declined the clothing though and was arrested at 10.45am for breaching his ASBO.” Daily Echo.


Bindmans, who represent Stephen, have let me know the following: "We received a letter from Stephen today. Stephen has asked us to contact you to let you know that he has some difficulty in sending out letters, as HMP Winchester are currently refusing him access to the post unless he gets dressed. He has to rely on other prisoners to put his letters in the post for him. The prison are also refusing him access to food, showers, exercise, the telephone and the prison complaints system. Stephen asked that you be made aware of his circumstances."

So I think this should be as widely known as possible, like his treatment last Thursday at his so-called release, and now it's up to as many of us as possible to protest that even such rights as he has as a prisoner are being denied.


Released from prison, collected by car and taken home.

A few days later, again arrested and imprisoned for breaking ASBO conditions.


Released from prison, picked up and safe for now.

Compiled from:

  • Stephen's own words (from letters to me)
  • www.nakedwalk.org
  • BBC News web pages
  • Various local and regional newspapers' web pages
  • Wikipedia
  • Googling
  • Facebook group "Free the Naked Rambler Stephen Gough"

Home Contact

©2010 nib - 2010-12-17 -> 2013-03-11

Powered by CMSimple | Template by CMSimple | Login